All homes and commercial properties are prone to facing electrical issues at one time or another. Though some problems appear more severe or evident than others, more minor instances can be a red flag for a much bigger problem. Check out this list of common issues that are warning signs to contact professionals.
Have you ever heard a strange buzzing sound in your home or a building? When this occurs, the best protocol is to figure out where the sound is coming from and then call an electrician to check it out. This humming or buzzing noise may indicate that you have loose screw terminals throughout your home or a possible wiring issue.
Not only is a burning smell unpleasant, but it can also be dangerous. If you notice this odor and no one’s cooking, call an electrician immediately. This smell could be a warning sign of a potential fire caused by an overheated outlet or appliance.
Charred Electrical Outlets
Some fires are not visible. If you notice a charred discoloration around your electrical outlet, this could indicate that a small fire occurred behind your light switch or outlet.
Dim or Flickering Lights
Flickering lights is a sign of an overloaded circuit. Have your lights ever flickered after turning on a blow dryer? That flicker is caused by the appliance drawing too much current and causing an imbalance in the power supply. This flicker means there is not enough power to supply the lights and the device in a single electrical circuit.
The sharp sting of an electrical shock is not only unpleasant, but it is also a sign to call for professional assistance. This painful shock indicates that your electrical wiring may have lost insulation or become frayed over time.
Visible sparks are a fire waiting to happen. If one of your power sources ever sends sparks soaring, immediately turn off that power source and notify an electrician. Getting a professional involved will prevent the safety risks involved with electrical problems and pinpoint the cause.
A constantly tripping breaker is more than just an annoyance. It is also a sign of wiring issues or needed fuse box repairs. When a circuit trips, it detects a fault condition and shuts itself off to prevent the wiring from overheating and potentially starting a fire.
Have you noticed any of these warning signs? Reach out to professionals you can trust. At Cajun Electric, it’s our goal to provide every client with high-quality professional service. Our trained electricians are dedicated to providing complete, timely and accurate service for every commercial and residential client across Baton Rouge.
When it comes to your electrical needs, your safety and comfort come first. Don’t ignore the signs of needed repairs. Contact our team of highly skilled professionals to help you today!